Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I saw a great idea and of course you know me, I HAD to try it.
Hamburgers and Fries. Here's what you do. make some yellow or white cake and put in muffin tins. I used paper cups. Once cooked and cooled take the cups off and cut in half.
Make a batch of brownies. Once cooked and cooled use a small round cookie cutter to cut out the "burgers".

Put on the cupcakes

Now time to make frosting. I use my trusty buttercream frosting. You can use the store bought stuff if you want. Just get white and color it yellow, red and green. If you want to make the buttercream here is the recipe:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups/1lb powdered sugar
2 tbl milk
Mix butter & shortening until blended, add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add 2 TB milk.
Then divide out and add the food coloring. Now put in pastry bags. I just use the disposable kind and I buy them from Walmart or Roberts. You can also use a ziplock bag any brand will work. Cut the end off, I recommend a very small hole then you can slowly make it bigger.
Put on the "mustard"

the "ketchup"

then the "lettuce" and put the top on.

If you want you can dab the top with water and put sesame seeds on for the real affect.
Now for the fries.....make sugar cookies, or you can use the store bought kind. Roll out kinda thin.
Cut "fries" remember real fries are different sizes too.
Now you want to pull every other off like this picture or you will end up with a big glob. Sprinkle with sugar for the "salt".

After they are cooked and still warm put more sugar on. And here are my fries :P

Now for how to Display/present. See below for a couple of ways of how I did it.



Now eat :q Yum... any questions please let me know.

4th of July Decor
Take 8 blocks. I got mine at The Wood Connection. I think they are 2" square. Paint them whatever color you want. I painted mine white then did cream on top of that.


Then you put the letters on. Now the great thing about this you can get 16 sayings out of this great project. Here ya go.
Block 1 : H I E D
Block 2: A C R S
Block 3: R P E T
Block 4: V N L O
Block 5: E O M D
Block 6: S M K I
Block 7: T F B W
Now for the words:
Freedom
Mother
Harvest
Welcome
Faith
Family
Spooky
Friends
Winter
Blessed
Snow
Home
Hope
Monster
Dream
Easter
I've been debating about adding another block and making it so I can have Father and School. Not sure if I will or not. We will see.
I did not get pre pictures of the USA. I just got a U S A that I liked from Roberts. I painted them brown. I was going to put paper on them but did not have enough of the kind I wanted to use. So instead I painted them. I think I would change the S to White and A to blue. Anyway then I got some of the rustic stars and some wire and put the stars on with the wire. I like the way it turned out. And it looks really good behind the "freedom" blocks. Plus my mom had the really cute patriotic bears that we put there too. YEAH!
Now for the sewing. I was planning on doing this MONTHS ago, and just barely did it. Which was dumb of me since it took all of about 1 hour and that was with pinning. I LOVE it and it is very handy.



I had 1 1/2 yards, but did not need that much, of the striped and 1 yard of the flowered. I cut off the extra 1/2 yard and cut stripes out. Pinned inside out and sewed, then turned them right side out and stitched up the ends. I figured out where I wanted them on the flowered fabric then sewed them on. I then put velcro on to attach to the carseat. I might put flowers or bows on later, I have not decided yet. Then after that was all done, I pinned the flowered and striped fabric together, stitched it together and there you have it. I hope my description makes sense. If not you know what to do :)
I have not quite finished for I also wanted this to work as a nursing blanket. When I cut the striped into strips I cut one long enough to use as a strap for going around my neck/shoulders for keeping the blanket in place.
I actually made two of these so if anyone wants to by the second one let me know. It would be $20 plus shipping, unless you want to come pick it up :)

3 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Ha ha!! I adore the burgers and fries!! How cool are you?!? Thanks for linking up!! I'm excited to try it. They are so real looking!

Andy Porter said...

Your cakes are gorgeous. I especially like the rose vine.

Misty said...

Hey! I don't know if you'll see this, but I wanted to make some wood blocks and you said to paint 8 blocks, but you only gave letters for 7 of them. Is there one more block that needs letters, or did I understand it wrong? Love all you do, Shanna!